Home and Happy

Friends!! I have missed you guys so much!

If you haven’t heard, I spent the last week at the hospital.  I will try to explain what happened, but if you have a queasy tummy, you may want to skip over this part. 🙂 

Last Saturday night we went out with some friends to celebrate my husband’s birthday (post to come!).  I didn’t eat or drink anything while out (I am on a very strict bland diet), but felt awful when I got home.  I started throwing up Saturday evening and it didn’t stop until Monday morning.  I’m talking every 15 minutes or so.  By Sunday afternoon the throwing up had worsened to constant (it was dry heaving at this point..ew!) so I told my husband we had to go to the ER.  We rushed to the car and headed to Vanderbilt hospital (I was throwing up out the window on the way to the hospital… TMI).  Thankfully we got to the front of the line because I was screaming bloody murder (it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife in my stomach) and constantly puking at this point.  It took hours for them to get me to a comfortable state (a LOT of anti nausea and pain medication).  It was the WORST day of my life thus far (and hopefully ever).  My mom and dad rushed to be by my side too.  My husband was sobbing at this point because it was so hard for him to see me in so much pain.  I was still audibly screaming at this point.  After awhile (I have no idea how long… I had a panic attack and couldn’t feel my hands so it was all just a big blur to me) they moved me to observation for the night.  It was a long 48 hours with about 1 hour of sleep.  Early Monday morning they put an NG tube in me to suction out my stomach and relieve the pressure.  Once it finally was working (the first nurse hooked it up wrong), I was much more comfortable. 


My family was all there and my mom taught my dad and husband how to play bridge while I watched.  My parents were so cute… they kept saying “you are supposed to be taking care of us in the hospital!!”  


Later that night they admitted me to the hospital where I spent the next 5 days.  I had every test imaginable done.  Thankfully I had visited a GI doctor at Vandy the previous Friday and a test result came back positive for C diff.  Not happy to have this diagnosis, but grateful to know what was going on.  They don’t know if the C diff was from my trip to Mexico or if it was from all the antibiotics I was taking.  They don’t think it was the root cause of all my sickness, but they can’t be sure until a few more tests come back.


I saw multiple doctors every day from Infectious Disease to Gastroenterology to General Medicine to Surgeons.  It was kind of crazy.  They were all a little stumped with my case as I didn’t have a lot of the symptoms that are typically associated with C diff.  But I will say that I really was in the best hands.  My doctors and nurses were wonderful and all working extremely hard to figure out how to get me better.  I had a little relapse where I felt worse, but once the medication started working, I finally began my journey to feeling better.  

My sweet best friend, Lissa, came to stay over night with me to relieve my mom and husband who had been staying with me all week.  She even braided my hair. 🙂 

This experience has made me so emotional.  I have never seen my husband cry as much as I did this past week.  He kept saying if he could switch places with me, he would.  If this isn’t true love, I don’t know what is. 


Sneaking a popsicle in the hospital. 😉 


Saturday was an amazing day.  I stayed in the hospital for the morning to run a specific CT test where I had to drink barium so they could see my intestines working.  After that test showed a blockage getting smaller (earlier in the week they were able to detect two blockages in my intestines that were causing me so much pain), the doctor on call agreed that it was time for me to go home.  I am now resting comfortably at home and I couldn’t be happier.  I am able to eat soft foods (I wasn’t able to eat or drink anything for 4 days (to avoid surgery, the best way to fix a blockage is to rest the bowel by not eating or drinking anything that would make it have to work), but have to be so very careful.  I am working hard to regain weight (I have lost 20lbs in the last 6 weeks) as I am very, very weak right now.  


The best part of this whole situation was a surprise I got on Friday night while in the hospital.  It was all caught on video so I will post the link to my youtube channel here.  My sister flew in from Dallas to be with my in the hospital.  (I would just like to note that she is currently studying for her law school finals that are NEXT week, but she still insisted on being by my side. If that isn’t love, I don’t know what is.)  

My girls. 🙂  I truly don’t know what I would do without them.  My mom probably slept less than me this week.  She is a saint.  


I am going to go backwards a bit now.  Last Saturday before all of the madness started, I was feeling okay.  I decided to go to my mom’s pool for a bit with my little brother.  This is what this infection has done to my body.  I have lost 20lbs, but my stomach looks like I am pregnant.  It is crazy.  The inflammation has gone down a LOT, but I still have some bloating/swelling.  

My sweet brother catching some rays. 


 Then my momma put him to work. 😉 

Such a nice view. 


I also got to see how honey is made!  My mom and stepdad have a bunch of beehives and make the best honey!  


It is a really neat process and I was glad to be able to see it!


That’s all I have for you guys today!! Thank you so much for all the thoughts and prayers!! I am on my way to healthy again.  I am taking it easy and resting this week so hopefully I can be back to normal again soon.  Love you all!!! xoxoxo