Happy Saturday!!! I hope your weekend is off to a fantastic start! We had a big dinner party/game night at my house last night and it was so much fun. I will share pictures soon!
I really love to entertain. I love everything about it. The shopping, the prep, the food, the company, and sharing our home with friends. I could spend hours in the kitchen chopping fruits and vegetables listening to music or watching a show and I would be so happy… I know, I am a strange one. (I NEVER buy pre-cut food… not because of the price, but I seriously enjoy cutting it… yes, even the harder ones like pineapples and grapefruit).
But, another thing that comes with my A-Type personality is stress. I hate feeling overwhelmed and stressed worrying about everything for a party and making sure everything is just perfect. It never is and never will be. Something that really helps me to relax is to plan ahead. I am a huge planner and am constantly making lists I can’t even keep up with. Don’t judge my horrible handwriting 😉
I make a plan of what I am going to make then make a grocery list from that. I shop a couple days early and get everything organized.
A night before the dinner party, I wash veggies, chop veggies (for appetizers and sides) and make anything ahead of time that I can.
The makings of a delicious black bean and corn dip (avocado will be added before guests arrive).
Black bean and corn dip:
- Drain and rinse 2 cans of black beans
- Add (2 cups) frozen corn (or fresh) and let thaw.
- Chop 1 red bell pepper and add to the mix.
- Chop 1/2 onion (any kind you like) and add to the mix.
- Add dressing and toss.
Dressing for dip:
- Chop 3 cloves of garlic.
- Add 3 TBL red wine vinegar to garlic.
- Add 6 TBL lime juice to mixture.
- Add 1 TBL of honey to mixture.
- Add 1/4-1/2 Cup of extra virgin olive oil to mixture (your preference).
- Season to taste: salt, pepper, chili powder, and paprika.
- Pour over bean mixture, stir, and refrigerate until serving (This dip gets better as it marinates in the dressing).
- Add chopped avocado (as much as your want) right before serving.
More chopping to do!
The more planning you do ahead of time, the better. I like to feel relaxed when guests arrive and not spend the entire time in the kitchen.
We are all happy it is the weekend!!!!
This isn’t the prettiest smoothie there ever was, but it is the tastiest!! This one had spinach, flaxseed, banana, strawberries, peaches, pineapple, and a little orange juice! Delicious!!!
Riley loves to chase the tennis ball up and down the stairs.. too cute.
Callie likes to watch and cuddle mom. I don’t mind one bit 😉
Oh Riley you make me laugh.
Have a great Saturday!!
- Do you like to entertain?
- Favorite appetizer for a party?
- Are you a planner or do you go-with-the-flow?