Good morning, friends!! I hope your Wednesday is off to a great start!!
So you know those times when you have a bunch of random leftovers/food in your fridge and your don’t know what to make for dinner? Sometimes you can just throw them in a piece of lettuce and go with it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
I am a huge advocate for not wasting or throwing away food. I recently heard my husband tell my sister, “Taylor will make me stuff my face before I throw away uneaten food.” While my intention is definitely not to stuff myself (or my husband), I take pride in buying only what we need and coming up with creative ways to use up the food we purchased. So often that means coming up with meals from the limited options left in the fridge. So in comes the Roasted butternut squash and quinoa lettuce wraps.
Roasted butternut squash:
- Peel and chop the butternut squash.
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 450F for 30-45 minutes depending on your oven and the size of your squash pieces.
- Toss every 10-15 minutes to avoid burning.
- When squash are almost done, drizzle honey over all the pieces and place back in the oven for 5-10 more minutes.
- Boil 1 cup of vegetable broth (chicken stock or water will work too).
- Add 1 cup of quinoa (rinsed and drained) to boiling water and bring back to a boil.
- Once it comes back to a boil, reduce to simmer (covered) for about 10-12 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a little olive oil (or butter).
Wash lettuce leaves and spread out on a plate. There is just no way to make a piece of lettuce look pretty in a picture…
Spoon mixture onto lettuce, wrap it up, and enjoy! Adding sliced avocado doesn’t hurt either 🙂
A few more pictures from the last couple days!
Just some more ways I ate the butternut squash… on a kale salad with tofu and with the quinoa, avocado, and tofu. Easy easy easy and used up all my leftovers.
My favorite comfortable shoes for running some errands. Riley likes them.. and Callie.. well she may be a little scared of them 😉
Riley wanted to show you guys his downward doggie… he is trying to perfect his form 🙂
That’s all I’ve got for today guys. Have a wonderful rest of your Wednesday… only 2 more days until the weekend… I think I can I think I can 😉
- Do you like butternut squash? What do you make with it?
- Lettuce wraps? Or do you prefer a sandwich?
- What are your most comfortable shoes you own?